Following two years of development, Cisco has this week released the new Cisco Nexus 3548 Switch with Algo Boost for High Frequency Trading. Nexus switches are based on custom silicon, benefitting from its ultra-low latency, and the Cisco Nexus 3548 Switch reduces latency to 250 nanoseconds for environments with large-scale requirements… and 190 nanoseconds for small to medium Layer 2/3 deployments. This huge performance improvement was achieved by using a unique Algorithm Boost, known as Algo Boost technology, in the ASIC (Application Specific Integrated Circuits). Thanks to this technology, the switch is the fastest full-featured Ethernet Switch in the industry (with up to 60% improvement in network access performance compared with other 10 GB Ethernet switches), enabling financial traders to speed up price discovery, increase liquidity and order flow, and experience better control at peak trading times.
The Cisco Nexus 3548 Switch is perfect for high-performance or big data environments where speed and network performance visibility are important. It has:
- NX-OS operating system with comprehensive features and functions; ensures constant availability and sets the standard for mission-critical datacentre locations;
- Precision Time Protocol to correlate network events and keep the whole infrastructure highly synchronized;
- Active Buffer Monitoring to monitor proactively and alert the user to any congestion points;
- Intelligent Traffic Mirroring to filter and nanosecond time-stamp captured traffic, to help improve visibility of gapping, slippage and slow order situations. This feature aids better trading decisions.
Cisco Nexus 3548 Switch features:
- 1RU 10G Ethernet Switch;
- 48 fixed 1/10-Gbps Enhanced Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP+) ports;
- Line-rate Layer 2 and Layer 3 throughput of up to 960 Gbps;
- 18MB packet buffer and a TCAM table supporting 4,000 ACLs;
- Hitless Network Address Translation, allowing algorithmic traders to connect to any trading venue with no latency penalty;
- Warp SPAN to deliver stock market data to trading servers at the very high speed of 50ns;
- Four redundant color-coded fans;
- Dual redundant color-coded power supplies;
- One 1-PPS timing port, with the RF1.0/2.3 QuickConnect connector type;
- One RS-232 serial console port;
- One USB port;
- Locator LED;
- Locator LED button.
The Cisco Nexus 3548 has no physical layer (PHY) chips, allowing low latency and low power consumption. It supports both AC and DC power inputs and both airflow schemes, forwarded and reversed, and the NX-OS operating system provides exceptional operational flexibility. The Nexus 3548 is now available at a price of between $40,000 and $50,000.